- Bursaries for Indigenous Medical Students - Indigenous peoples face significant barriers to post-secondary education. CMF’s Bursaries for Indigenous Medical Students is Indspire’s only bursary open to medical students across Canada.
- Project Completed: Improved infrastructure at the Hôpital Universitaire de Mirebalais (HUM), Haiti - In Haiti, more than 95% of public health facilities are in need of urgent repair due to normal deterioration and decades of neglect. The country’s extreme poverty means that many facilities lack plumbing, improved sanitation, adequate infectious waste disposal, sterilization equipment, electricity, and/or access to a basic running water supply. Strong water, sanitation and hygiene […]
- Project Completed – Vital hygiene supplies delivered to healthcare workers in Northwest Syria! - We are proud to announce the completion of the COVID-19 Emergency Response Project in Northwest Syria, in partnership with the Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations-Canada (UOSSM Canada)
- Statement on the Missing Children of the Kamloops Indian Residential School - We mourn the loss with the communities and families affected by both the direct and intergenerational impact of residential schools.
- Oral Knowledge Transfer and COVID-19 Prevention - We are pleased to announce our partnership with the Alberta First Nations Information Governance Centre
- Hygiene Support to those Displaced by Conflict in Syria (completed) - As part of a special Close the Gaps initiative to help prevent, limit, and stop the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19, CMF partnered with the Molham Volunteering Team to provide vital hygiene supplies and facemasks to households in Azaz area, located in northern Aleppo governorate, Northwest Syria
- Improved Hygiene in and around Hopital Albert Schweitzer, Haiti (Project Completed) - Canadian Medical Foundation (CMF) provided support to the Hôpital Albert Schweitzer (HAS) to improve hygiene initiatives in Haiti’s Lower Artibonite Valley.
- Thank you and Happy New Year - We’d like to thank all of our donors, volunteers and partners for your support and take the opportunity to wish all of you a happier, healthier and better New Year.
- Honouring the Contributions of Retired Trustees - We’d like to take the opportunity to honour the contributions of two Trustees who played a vital role at shaping CMF but have retired from their leadership roles.
- Reducing The Transmission of COVID-19 at University Hospital of Mirebalais (Completed) - Improving sanitation facilities in the hospital's COVID-19 patient areas to create a healthier hospital environment and reduced risk of COVID-19 transmission for both staff and patients.
- Helping prevent infection of frontline healthcare workers - No decontamination kits to properly clean and disinfect reusable face shields are currently marketed in Canada.
- Round Two Grants – Stop the Hygiene Gaps in Syria - As part of a special initiative to help prevent, limit, and stop the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19, the Canadian Medical Foundation (CMF) has opened round two of our small grants program for eligible Canadian organizations working in Syria. Syria is a country now in its 10th year of conflict, battling sanctions, economic turmoil, widespread […]
- Global Handwashing Day - Global Handwashing Day is October 15th. The first Global Handwashing Day was held in 2008, and the message about the importance of hand hygiene has never been more important than in 2020. Handwashing is one of the most important ways to limit the spread of COVID-19 but it requires both knowledge and resources. Especially in […]
- Dr. Karen Breeck, the recipient of the Federation of Medical Women in Canada’s 2020 May Cohen Award! - Congratulations to CMF Trustee, Dr. Karen Breeck, the recipient of the Federation of Medical Women in Canada’s 2020 May Cohen Award!
- Help stop the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19 - Whoever you are and wherever you live, correct hygiene is a foundational step required to help stop the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19.
- The Canadian Medical Foundation is pleased to welcome Tom Magyarody to its Board of Trustees. - The Canadian Medical Foundation is pleased to welcome Tom Magyarody to its Board of Trustees.
- 2019 Annual Report - The CMF has supported a wide-variety of charitable programs and organizations over it’s thirty-year history. Read what you have made possible in 2019.
- 2019 Financials - 2019 Financials at a Glance.
- “International Youth Day: Mobilizing for Global Action - Listen to youth leaders, including CMF Trusteee Dr. Yipeng Ge, Youth Delegate for Canada, World Health Assembly (WHA73) speaking on youth leadership. Watch Dr. Yipeng Ge speaking at the 50:10 mark Youth Leadership video.
- Annual reports & Financial Statements - Visit CRA for detailed financial information. The government of Canada Charities Listing 2019 Annual Report
What is “Planned Giving”?
According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), gifts are a voluntary transfer of property without valuable consideration. Allowable gifts include cash, gifts in kind like stocks and real estate, and a right to future payment, such as life insurance proceeds.
“Planned Gifts” are so called because they take some thought and preparation, and because you should consult with a lawyer and your financial planner about them.
Your gift can be a one-time donation, a series of payments over a set period, or ongoing support. Your planned gift may be a “present gift” that can be used now, or a “deferred gift’, that is only available in the future, such as in a will.
Planned giving helps you create a legacy of support for the causes you care about most, and can maximizes your tax and estate planning benefits.
When speaking to your financial advisor, make sure that they are aware of your philanthropic goals, and consider a gift to the CMF today.
For more information, please contact the Canadian Medical Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613.518.6010.
There are the many ways you can make a lasting impact as part of your legacy.
- Securities - Donating Appreciated Shares – Public and Private Shares and Securities (including mutual funds) A common misconception about planned or legacy giving is that you benefit only in the future. In fact, you can often benefit immediately. 50 per cent of a capital gain from the sale of stock is taxable. When a stock is donated to […]
- Life Insurance - A gift of insurance can allow a Donor to make a much larger gift to the Canadian Medical Foundation than they might otherwise be able to consider. Tax savings today are real. There are a number of very common methods to utilize life insurance in your charitable giving and tax saving plans. Proceeds of life […]
- Gift Annuities - The charitable gift annuity is a popular planned giving instrument for elder Canadians, as it allows a person to make a significant contribution, while maintaining financial security. There are many benefits of a gift annuity: A gift annuity allows you to make a significant gift, yet still enjoy the income from that gift; A gift […]
- Wills and Bequests: The Most Popular Planned Giving Vehicle - The most common form of planned gift is the bequest – making a gift through one’s Will. (i.e. Through your estate planning.) Indeed, some 80% to 90% of planned gifts are bequests. For these Donors, the bequest is one of the smartest options. Leaving a gift by Will permits a Donor to leave a significant […]
- Donor Advised Funds - CMF offers a DAF program that enables donors to create long-term charitable gifting plans in order to realize their charitable goals and further their philanthropic priorities.